Not My Theme. Still Won Me Over: Lumibricks Dutch Windmill Millhouse

Not My Theme. Still Won Me Over. Lumibricks Dutch Windmill Millhouse 16012 Review


I'll start here: Windmills aren't really my thing. 


Give me a dirty city modular, a record store, a barber shop, something packed with signs, clutter and city detail, and I'm happy. That's normally where my interest is when it comes to buildings. I like that tight modular footprint and the feeling of something that could sit naturally in the middle of a busy street.

Windmills and lighthouses don't usually grab me in the same way. Looking at this one before I started, I wasn't expecting it to be a set I'd get particularly excited about.

I was wrong. The Dutch Windmill Millhouse is one of those builds that just gets better as it comes together. It's tight, clean and far more sophisticated than I expected. There's a great mechanism at the heart of it, loads of little details throughout and a colour palette that absolutely nails the Dutch theme.

By the time I'd finished, Lumibricks had completely won me over.


Specifications

Brand: Lumibricks
Set: Dutch Windmill Millhouse
Set Number: 16012
Piece Count: 2,297 pieces
Printed Pieces: 33
Lighting: 11 LEDs + 3 light strips
Bags: 11 numbered bags
Instruction Books: 2
Figures: 4
Estimated Build Time: Around 12 hours
Dimensions: Approx. 10 × 7.5 × 17.3 inches
Features: Working windmill sails and internal milling mechanism
Interior Access: Removable rear panels
Power: USB or battery

Build Experience

This is a beautiful build and the whole thing comes together at a really steady pace. I haven't actually built a windmill before, so this was my first building of this type, which made the experience feel quite different from a lot of the sets I've built recently.


It's also a really tight build. Sometimes I've found with other brands that these types of buildings can start to feel a bit babyish. The style isn't as sophisticated and the finished models can end up feeling quite fat and clumsy.

That didn't happen here at all. It kept tight and clean and maintained that sophistication throughout.

There are lots of little delight moments along the way too. The building comes together perfectly, piece by piece, and it really isn't a simple assembly.


Each stage feels purposeful. You build the core of the model, then the outside walls and the individual sections around it. You're constantly adding another layer or bit of detail rather than just stacking bricks upwards.

I really enjoyed the way it all came together. There's always something happening and you can see the building taking shape without ever feeling like you're just repeating the same process over and over.


Packaging & Instructions

The packaging always feels premium with Lumibricks. You get the usual numbered bags, the separate lighting kit box and the tools you need for the build. Everything is well organised and presented.


Premium packaging and instructions are really important to me. They aren't just a nice-to-have. They're part of the whole experience of buying and building a set, and this is an area where Lumibricks now feel really established.

I'm really glad that Lumibricks have found an identity and style that works for them. From the packaging through to the instructions and the build itself, it all feels consistent now.

The instructions are excellent. Colour matching is perfect and I had no issues at all following them throughout the build.

That quality also gives you confidence, particularly when it comes to installing the lighting. You're never second guessing where a wire needs to go or worrying that you've missed something.


It means Lumibricks can take a few more risks with how the lighting is integrated because the instructions are good enough to guide you through it.

Brick Quality

Brick quality is perfect, as I've come to expect from Lumibricks. The clutch power is spot on throughout. Everything connects exactly as it should and the finished model feels tight and solid.


I particularly enjoyed the colour palette they've used for this model. It suits the Dutch windmill theme perfectly and is a big part of why the finished building works so well.

The colours feel warm and traditional without becoming too bright or overdone.

Design & Detail

I love these Dutch windmills and this feels like a perfect representation of one. The proportions and overall style just work really well together.


The main room is particularly well done. The colours and decoration immediately give it that Dutch feel. You don't need to be told what the theme is supposed to be, you get it straight away from the way the room has been designed and decorated.

There's actually a story running through the whole model too. You have the wheat field, the mill and then the bakery, basically taking you through the process from wheat to flour and eventually bread.


Looking at the finished model, it makes sense of a lot of the little details throughout the set.

There are plenty of smaller Dutch countryside details as well, particularly the tulips, wheat and animals. None of it feels like it's been thrown in just to fill space. It all belongs here.

The back of the model is completely closed, which I much prefer from a display point of view. Individual panels can be removed when you want to see or access the interior.

It's a really good compromise because you get a properly finished building from the outside without losing access to everything that's going on inside.

Mechanical Features

The mechanism is definitely the standout feature for me.

It's not complicated and it's not over-engineered. It's actually a really simple mechanism, but that's exactly why it works so well here.


Everything runs really smoothly and it feels perfectly deployed in this model. It's manually operated, but honestly I think that works better.

It's smooth, easy to use and does exactly what it needs to do without adding unnecessary complexity.

I can't really say much more than that. It just works, and I really enjoyed it.


Lighting

The lighting kit is great. I really like that Lumibricks give you options when it comes to powering it, either USB or battery. It gives you a bit more flexibility depending on where you want to display the model.


The lighting itself is quite understated, but that really works here. This isn't a model that needs loads of lighting. There's just enough to bring the interior to life and highlight the building without taking anything away from the windmill itself.


As always with Lumibricks, it's also really easy to install. The wires are completely hidden within the different sections of the model, so you don't have cables running everywhere once it's finished.

Both the design of the lighting system and the instructions for installing it are excellent. It's something Lumibricks continue to do really well.

Minifigures & Animals

The set comes with four figures. I've commented before on my feelings around this style of figure, and Pantasy use a similar style. I've never been a massive fan personally.


That said, these ones are okay and, as always, I'm sure they'll have their fans. It's more a personal preference than there being anything particularly wrong with them.

What I really enjoyed were the animals.


You get a dog, two cats, three chickens and a pigeon. They're all really nice moulded pieces and add a lot of character to the finished model.


The chickens especially were great. I really enjoyed these and they were a nice surprise as I worked through the build.

Display

As a display piece, it's beautiful too.

Despite this not being the sort of building shape I'd normally go for, I really like the finished model. The windmill has a lot of presence without being overly bulky.

The colour palette, sails and understated lighting all work together really well. It looks just as good finished as it was enjoyable to build.


Final Thoughts

I'm not a huge fan of this type of theme. Give me that dirty city modular and I'm normally going to choose it every time. That's just where my taste sits.

Anything that moves too far away from that standard modular shape doesn't usually appeal to me in the same way. Something like a lighthouse or a windmill wouldn't normally be my first choice.

But this model won me over.

It's a really nice display piece with some confident features. The build is tight and clean, the colour palette works perfectly and it maintains a level of sophistication that I've sometimes found missing from this type of building.

The mechanism is the standout feature for me. It's simple, incredibly smooth and doesn't try to do more than it needs to. The fact that it's manually operated actually works better for me than trying to motorise it or overcomplicate things.

The packaging and instructions feel premium, the brick quality and clutch are excellent, and the lighting is understated but exactly what this particular model needs.

More importantly, it never fell into the trap that I've experienced with some other brands where this type of building starts to feel chunky or a little childish. This stayed clean, tight and sophisticated from beginning to end.

This wasn't necessarily a set I expected to enjoy as much as I did, but I really enjoyed building it.

It won me over.

Scores

Build Experience: 8/10
Packaging & Instructions: 9/10
Brick Quality: 8/10
Design: 8/10
Mechanical Features: 10/10
Lighting: 7.5/10
Minifigures: 2/10
Animals: 8.5/10
Display: 8.5/10

Overall: 8.5/10

I went into this expecting to enjoy the build but probably not care too much about the finished model.

Instead, I've ended up with a windmill that I genuinely want to display.

That probably says more about the Dutch Windmill Millhouse than anything else I can write. It took a theme that isn't really for me and made me enjoy it anyway.

Great build. Beautiful display piece. Brilliant mechanism.

8.5/10. Lumibricks won me over with this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lumibricks: Wheat Field with Cypresses — Painting with Bricks

Lumibricks 19012 Beard Bob’s Barbershop Review

Lumibricks K's Spinner (23001) Review – A Perfect Tribute to Blade Runner