Fanbrick Boutique Shop Review — A Little Slice of Naughty City Life

Fanbrick Boutique Shop Review — A Little Slice of Naughty City Life


This was my first experience with Fanbrick, and I have to say, I really enjoyed it.

The Boutique Shop is part of Fanbrick's Urban Nightlife Series, designed and authorised by TyrolMocs. It's a relatively small model at 1,098 pieces, spread across two floors, but that's actually a big part of its appeal.

If you've read my reviews before, you'll know I love real city builds. Buildings and scenes that feel like they could actually exist somewhere. It's something I've particularly enjoyed with the Lumibricks City range, and the Boutique Shop scratches that same itch while doing something a little different.

It's small. It's simple. But I really like it.


Basic Specifications

- Set: Boutique Shop
- Series: Urban Nightlife Series
- Designer: TyrolMocs
- Pieces: 1,098
- Dimensions: 14.4 × 21.6 × 27.2 cm
- Weight: approximately 800 g
- Material: ABS
- Instructions: Digital, accessed via QR code
- Printed pieces: Yes
- Lighting: Interfaces incorporated for the addition of lighting
- Recommended age: 16+

The Build Experience

I really enjoyed this build.

The Boutique Shop took me a couple of hours to put together over an evening. At just under 1,100 pieces, it feels like a really nice size for a single-session build. There's enough going on to keep you interested without it becoming a massive commitment.


One of the things I particularly enjoyed was simply building something different. This isn't the kind of subject you generally find represented in mainstream LEGO sets, and that's part of what made it so much fun.

There are no numbered bags. The pieces are separated into bags, but there's no ordered system to work through. Normally that might bother me, but with a set of this size I really didn't mind. Empty the bags out, dig in and build. For a couple of hours over an evening, it worked perfectly well.

There was one issue worth mentioning. The roof uses a technique that, as instructed, simply didn't work for me. I replaced the stud with a 1×2 plate and that solved the problem immediately.


It's not a massive modification and it certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of the build, but it is a modification nonetheless and something to keep in mind.

Other than that, this was just a really nice build. Nothing unnecessarily complicated. Just a couple of enjoyable hours putting together a characterful little building.


Design & Detail

In terms of design, the Boutique Shop is actually quite simple. There aren't any particularly complicated techniques, but I really love the style. It's very well done.

The use of purple is a particularly nice touch. It gives the building its own identity and brings some colour to the street without overwhelming everything around it.

It's the smaller details that really make the finished model work for me.

The roadworks, rusted fencing, bottle and printed elements all add something to the scene. The rusted fence in particular is a beautiful little touch. These are the things that stop a city build looking too clean and perfect and instead make it feel lived in.


I also really want to acknowledge the inclusion of printed bricks. These smaller, relatively straightforward builds are exactly where you might expect printed elements to be left out, so I'm really pleased to see them here.

They work really well and are a really nice addition to the finished model. I hope Fanbrick continues doing this across the range.

The exterior generally is very nicely done. All those little details and features come together to make this a pretty beautiful little model.

I particularly like the black border trim around the base. That's absolutely my preference — I use black trim across all of my own models — and I think it gives the whole thing a clean, finished appearance.

My only issue is that it's a little loose and flimsy. Visually it works. Structurally, I would have liked it to feel more solid.


The Interior

The interior is probably where I was a little disappointed.

I really like the idea behind the Boutique Shop, so given the amount of character and detail on the outside, I was hoping for a little more internally.

But the internal footprint isn't particularly large, and there is obviously a limit to how much could realistically have been squeezed in.


And actually, the small nature of this model is part of its appeal.

It's a compact little slice of a city rather than a huge modular building. I like that.

I also see the interior as an opportunity to individualise the shop. Add some extra merchandise, a few unique details or perhaps some custom adult-themed minifigures and you could really make the Boutique Shop your own.

So yes, I would have liked a little more inside. But equally, there's plenty of opportunity to have some fun with it yourself.

Brick Quality

The brick quality isn't the best I've seen, but it certainly isn't the worst.


For the most part, the standard bricks are absolutely fine. Clutch is great, the colours are on point and I didn't have any concerns putting the main structure together.

Where the quality falls down is with some of the more specialised elements.

All of the doors on my model are very loose. More significantly, the front glass pane simply wouldn't fit.

No matter how much I tried, I couldn't get it into place. In the end, I couldn't really resolve the problem and had to leave the pane out of the front window.

That's a more substantial issue, particularly when it's part of the front of the finished model.

So I don't have an issue with the standard bricks. The clutch is good and the colours are right. It's the tolerances on things like the doors and windows that need improvement.

Loose doors are annoying.

A window that simply doesn't fit needs addressing.


Display

It's a really pretty little display piece.

The black border gives it a finished appearance, and despite the relatively small footprint, there's enough character in the building and surrounding street detail to make it stand out.

More importantly, this has made me really want to build the entire Urban Nightlife collection.

I can imagine a whole street of these little buildings working brilliantly together.

Anything that steps away from the traditional themes and gives us something a little different gets my support and encouragement. That's just the way I am with these sets.

I want to see manufacturers taking chances on subjects we don't normally get. Give me the strange shops. Give me the slightly seedy corners. Give me the bits of a city that don't normally make it into a building set.

That's what makes a city interesting.

And an Urban Nightlife series is exactly the sort of thing I want to see more of.


Value for Money

For me, the value here is pretty clear.

You're getting a complete little city building with just under 1,100 pieces, printed elements, plenty of exterior detail and a subject that's genuinely different from the usual brick-building themes.

I'd absolutely like to see an improvement in the brick quality, particularly with the doors and windows. A front window that simply doesn't fit is something that needs addressing.

But put that issue to one side and this is a really nice build for the money.

It's compact, full of character and works as a standalone display piece while also clearly being designed as part of something bigger.

For anyone interested in building a more varied, lived-in city, there's a lot to like here.

Overall

As a standalone set, I'd give the Fanbrick Boutique Shop a 7.5 out of 10.

There are things that need improving. The loose doors and particularly the front glass pane that wouldn't fit are genuine issues. The interior could have offered a little more as well.

But that's only half the story for me.

As a city set? As a fun little build depicting a slightly naughtier side of city life?

For me, it's a 9 out of 10.

I love this kind of thing.

I love buildings that aren't normally represented in mainstream brick sets. I love the rusted fencing, the roadworks, the printed details and the fact that this feels like a little piece of an actual city rather than another perfect, pristine building.

I completely accept that I have quite a niche taste when it comes to this stuff. This isn't going to appeal to everyone.

But it absolutely appeals to me.

Standalone Set: 7.5/10
For Me as a City Build: 9/10

And perhaps the biggest compliment I can give it is this:

I really want to build the rest of the Urban Nightlife collection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lumibricks: Wheat Field with Cypresses — Painting with Bricks

Lumibricks 19012 Beard Bob’s Barbershop Review

Lumibricks K's Spinner (23001) Review – A Perfect Tribute to Blade Runner