Lumibricks K's Spinner (23001) Review – A Perfect Tribute to Blade Runner
Lumibricks K's Spinner (23001) Review – A Perfect Tribute to Blade Runner
(Discount link)
Introduction
Some film vehicles become icons the moment they appear on screen. The DeLorean. The Batmobile. Ecto-1. K's Spinner from Blade Runner 2049 comfortably sits amongst them. It isn't simply a futuristic flying car—it's part of what gives the film its unmistakable identity.
Intellectual properties aren't cheap, and I can only imagine what it cost Lumibricks to secure this licence. But what a wonderful IP for them to pick up.
If there was ever a company suited to bringing Blade Runner into brick form, it's Lumibricks.
The atmosphere of both the original Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 relies heavily on architecture, lighting, colour and mood—areas where Lumibricks consistently stand out. Their integrated lighting systems have become one of the defining features of their range, so bringing that expertise to one of cinema's most visually striking franchises felt like a perfect match.
As many of you know, my LEGO collection is almost exclusively movie themed. My MOCs are inspired by films, and that's where my passion lies. The moment I realised this set was happening, I messaged my contact at Lumibricks immediately and they very kindly got one out to me incredibly quickly.
Ironically, I've then sat on it for nearly a month.
At the time of writing, the set has only just been released.
Specifications
Feature| Details
Set Name| K's Spinner
Set Number| 23001
Theme| Blade Runner 2049
Manufacturer| Lumibricks
Retail Price| £38
Building Blocks| 410
Printed Parts| 30
Brick Bags| 2
Lighting| 8 integrated LED lights
Instructions| 1 clear printed instruction manual
(Discount link)
The Build
I've built Spinner models before.
When I created my own Blade Runner display I explored several Rebrickable and fan-made versions, and over the years I've handled plenty more at LEGO exhibitions and conventions.
Without hesitation... This is the best one I've seen. I'll say it again. Perfection.
One of the biggest failings of many fan-designed Spinner models is stability. They often look fantastic sitting on a stand, but the moment you pick them up they flex, separate or begin falling apart. Most are designed purely as static display pieces and were never intended to be handled.
Lumibricks have solved every one of those problems.
The construction is exceptionally solid from beginning to end. Once completed, the model feels rigid and confidence-inspiring in your hands. You can actually pick it up, move it around and enjoy it without worrying that half the bodywork is about to detach.
Even better, they've managed to make it genuinely playable. Hidden underneath the centre of the Spinner is a cleverly integrated wheel that allows it to roll around while remaining almost invisible when displayed.
It's such a simple idea, but it completely changes how the model feels.
The Spinner also includes a couple of thoughtful play features that I wasn't necessarily expecting. The roof can be removed in seconds, making it incredibly easy to access the cockpit and seat K inside without fighting the bodywork. It's a small design decision, but one that makes interacting with the model far more enjoyable.
Another nice inclusion is the detachable reconnaissance drone mounted on the roof. It can be removed easily and displayed separately on its transparent stand, giving the impression that it's hovering alongside the Spinner. Again, it's a simple feature, but one that adds another authentic touch for fans of the film.
The build itself is genuinely enjoyable and is spread across just two bags, so it doesn't take very long to complete. Despite its relatively small size, there's plenty to keep you engaged throughout.
As with most Lumibricks sets, the instructions are clear and easy to follow. If you simply trust the process and follow them step by step, they won't lead you wrong—especially when it comes to the lighting installation. Every wire is routed exactly where it needs to be, resulting in a clean finish with nothing feeling forced or untidy.
Lighting
Naturally, the lighting is one of the stars of the show.
Thankfully, Lumibricks have shown restraint.
Rather than covering every surface in LEDs, they've concentrated on the areas that matter. The front lights, rear lights and subtle exterior illumination recreate the mood of the films instead of turning the Spinner into something that looks overdone.
One of my favourite touches is the internal lighting system.
Rather than simply lighting the outside of the vehicle, Lumibricks have also illuminated the cockpit. The effect is superb, casting a subtle cinematic glow throughout the cab and perfectly lighting K while he's seated inside the Spinner. It immediately draws your eye to the cockpit and adds another layer of realism when displayed in low light.
The lighting has also been thoughtfully layered. Bright white headlights and the distinctive red rear lights immediately recreate the Spinner's unmistakable silhouette when displayed in a darkened room. Underneath, discreet white lighting projects onto the surface below, creating a convincing hovering effect that gives the vehicle far more presence than a simple display stand ever could.
Inside the cockpit, the subtle blue ambient lighting keeps everything looking clean, futuristic and true to the aesthetic of Blade Runner 2049. Rather than overpowering the model, every light has a purpose, working together to recreate the atmosphere of the film rather than simply showing off the lighting kit.
This is exactly how Blade Runner should look.
Atmospheric. Moody. Beautiful.
Few companies integrate lighting as naturally as Lumibricks, and this set is another reminder of why they've built that reputation.
The Minifigure
Unlike many Spinner MOCs I've seen over the years, this one also comfortably accommodates the minifigure. K sits naturally inside the cockpit without feeling squeezed into place, something that surprisingly few Spinner models manage to achieve.
As I've said in several previous reviews, I'm generally not a fan of Lumibricks' minifigures, although I completely understand why many builders enjoy their design style. They're simply not to my personal taste.
That said, K is excellent when measured against Lumibricks' previous minifigures. The overall design feels much more refined, the colour choices are spot on, and the printing is crisp and detailed throughout. Even the included sidearm is well designed and instantly recognisable, making this one of the strongest minifigures Lumibricks has produced to date—even despite my overall reservations about the design direction Lumibricks has taken with its minifigures.
The additional jacket element recreates his iconic look brilliantly. There are a couple of small stickers intended to secure the jacket in place. As you'll know if you've followed my reviews for any length of time, I simply don't use stickers if I can avoid them, so I chose not to apply them. Even without them, though, the figure looks fantastic.
Display
Visually, this thing is stunning.
The proportions feel right.
The shaping is incredibly accurate.
The front profile is instantly recognisable, while the rear engines and angled bodywork all combine to produce what feels like a faithful miniature of the on-screen vehicle.
It's one of those models that looks fantastic from every angle.
Whether displayed on its own, alongside other movie vehicles or incorporated into a Blade Runner city scene, it immediately commands attention.
What I Liked
- Officially licensed Blade Runner 2049 model.
- Easily the best brick-built Spinner I've handled.
- Exceptionally solid construction.
- Beautifully integrated lighting with cockpit illumination and hover effect.
- Hidden rolling wheel makes it genuinely playable.
- Removable roof provides easy access to the cockpit.
- Detachable reconnaissance drone with display stand.
- Excellent K minifigure.
- Superb display piece.
- Quick, enjoyable build.
- Outstanding value at just £38.
Things to Consider
- Two small stickers are supplied for K's jacket.
- The Lumibricks minifigure style won't appeal to everyone.
- Fans of the film will naturally get the most from this model.
Final Thoughts
This review has probably been shorter than many of my others, but honestly, there's very little to criticise.
As a movie fan, this set was always going to appeal to me. As a Blade Runner fan, it appealed even more. And as someone who absolutely loves the incredible lighting, atmosphere and visual style created in both the original film and Blade Runner 2049, how could I not give this a 10 out of 10?
Lumibricks have absolutely understood what makes this vehicle so iconic. The model is structurally solid, beautifully engineered, genuinely playable and features one of the best integrated lighting systems I've seen on a vehicle of this size. More importantly, it captures the atmosphere of Blade Runner—and for me, that's exactly what mattered most.
Scores
Build Experience: 10/10
Display: 10/10
Lighting: 10/10
Value: 10/10
Overall Score: 10/10
If you're a fan of Blade Runner, I genuinely think this is an essential purchase. Even if you've built Spinner MOCs before, I honestly believe you'll be surprised by just how refined, well engineered and enjoyable this version is.
Sometimes licensed sets simply get everything right.
For me, this is one of those occasions.
Comments
Post a Comment