IAmBrick Wrecked Plane Pharmacy (30902) Review – A Unique Take on the Post-Apocalypse
IAmBrick Wrecked Plane Pharmacy (30902) Review – A Unique Take on the Post-Apocalypse
There are some themes that almost guarantee they'll catch my attention, and post-apocalyptic worlds have always been one of them.
Whether it's the desolate highways of the original Mad Max trilogy, the relentless action of Fury Road, the world-building of Furiosa or, more recently, Amazon's Fallout series, I've always been fascinated by the idea of people rebuilding their lives amongst the ruins of civilisation. There's something strangely satisfying about seeing familiar places and everyday objects given a completely new purpose once the world has fallen apart.
It's also a theme that translates incredibly well into brick-built models. Over the last year I've reviewed both the Youmko Red Rocket Café and IAmBrick's Doomsday Gas Station, and both managed to capture that feeling brilliantly. They weren't simply buildings with broken walls and weathered colours; they felt like places with stories to tell. Every boarded-up window, abandoned vehicle and improvised repair helped create the impression that people had genuinely been trying to survive there for years.
When IAmBrick revealed the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy, it immediately stood out from the crowd.
We've all seen abandoned garages, ruined houses and collapsed city streets before, but building an entire survivor settlement around the wreckage of a passenger aircraft felt like a genuinely fresh idea. It immediately reminded me of somewhere you might discover whilst wandering through the wasteland in Fallout. You can almost imagine stumbling across it after hours of exploring, with the aircraft becoming a recognisable landmark long before you reach the settlement itself.
That's ultimately what drew me to this set. It isn't just another post-apocalyptic building; it feels like a location. The sort of place where every room has a story, every improvised repair has a purpose and every detail hints at the people who have managed to survive there.
Of course, a brilliant concept doesn't automatically make a brilliant set.
The real test is whether the build is as enjoyable as the finished model, whether the engineering lives up to the ambitious design and, perhaps most importantly, whether it earns a permanent place on the shelf once everything is complete.
Let's find out.
Specifications
Specification| Details
Set Name| Wrecked Plane Pharmacy
Set Number| 30902
Manufacturer| IAmBrick
Pieces| 2,076
Printed Parts| 31
Lighting| Integrated LED lighting system
Theme| Post-Apocalyptic
Recommended Age| Adult Collectors
What's in the Box?
Inside the box you'll find everything needed to recreate this abandoned survivor outpost, including 2,076 pieces, 31 printed elements, a full-colour instruction manual, an integrated lighting kit and a selection of survivor-themed minifigures.
Straight away it's obvious where the attention has been focused.
The crashed passenger aircraft dominates both the box art and the finished model, while the pharmacy has been constructed into and around the wreckage. Rather than feeling like two completely separate models sitting beside one another, the design gives the impression that the building slowly grew around the aircraft over many years as survivors made use of whatever resources they had available.
It's an excellent first impression and one that immediately makes you want to start building the aircraft.
Fortunately, IAmBrick doesn't keep you waiting too long.
Build Experience
Overall, I came away enjoying the build, although I don't think it's quite as polished as some of IAmBrick's previous releases.
My biggest criticism comes almost immediately.
The opening stages once again rely on counting studs from multiple directions to position structural supports towards the centre of the baseplate. It isn't particularly difficult once you've taken your time, but I do think there are more intuitive ways to begin a model of this size.
Those early pillars become the foundation for everything that follows, so accuracy is important. If one support is misplaced, there's a good chance you won't discover the mistake until much later, by which point correcting it becomes far more frustrating than it really needs to be.
Personally, I'd prefer to see IAmBrick start these larger models from one edge of the baseplate before gradually working inwards. It feels like a more natural way to build and would remove much of the uncertainty from those opening pages.
Thankfully, once those foundations are complete, the build quickly settles into a much more enjoyable rhythm.
The construction moves comfortably between the aircraft, the pharmacy and the surrounding environmental details, so there's always something different to build. I never really felt as though I was repeating the same techniques over and over again, and each new bag added something meaningful to the overall model.
It's perhaps not the most technically challenging build I've completed this year, but it's consistently interesting, and I found myself looking forward to seeing how each section would connect to the next.
By the time the aircraft began taking shape, I was completely invested in the project.
Structure & Stability
One of the biggest surprises during this build was discovering that the strongest engineered part of the entire model isn't actually the pharmacy.
It's the aircraft.
As the fuselage starts coming together, you quickly realise just how well thought out it is. Each section reinforces the next, creating a structure that feels remarkably solid in your hands. There are some clever building techniques throughout, but none of them ever feel unnecessarily complicated or included simply for the sake of being different. Instead, they all contribute towards producing a passenger aircraft that feels rigid, substantial and extremely satisfying to build.
In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying the aircraft was my favourite part of the entire building experience.
The pharmacy, on the other hand, left me with slightly more mixed feelings.
That's not to say it's poorly designed because it certainly isn't. Once complete, the model is perfectly stable and can easily be picked up and moved around without feeling like it's about to fall apart. During construction, however, there were a few occasions where parts of the building felt less secure than I expected. Some sections rely on relatively small connection points, and I occasionally found myself holding one area steady while attaching another.
It's never frustrating enough to spoil the experience, but having previously built the Doomsday Gas Station, I couldn't help making comparisons. That model felt a little more confidence inspiring while it was coming together, whereas this one occasionally felt like it needed just a little more structural reinforcement before moving on to the next stage.
Once everything is locked together, though, those concerns largely disappear. The finished model feels solid enough for display and the slight movement I noticed during construction isn't something you'll continue to experience once the build is complete.
Exploring the Model
Although the pharmacy provides the setting, it's impossible to ignore the aircraft because it completely dominates the finished display.
It's also the feature that gives this set its identity.
We've seen plenty of post-apocalyptic buildings over the years, but using the wreckage of a full passenger aircraft as the centrepiece immediately makes this model feel different. It isn't simply resting beside the building either. The way the fuselage has been integrated into the structure makes it look as though the crash happened years ago, with survivors gradually adapting the wreckage into part of their settlement.
That sense of realism is what impressed me most.
The angle of the aircraft feels believable, the damaged sections look natural and the transition between plane and building is handled extremely well. Nothing feels forced or artificial. Instead, your brain immediately accepts the idea that this really could have been an abandoned aircraft that became the centre of a survivor community.
As you begin exploring the model more closely, you start noticing the smaller details that help sell that story.
The pharmacy itself is packed with evidence that people are still living here. Supplies have been salvaged, repairs have been made using whatever materials were available and different parts of the building have clearly been repurposed over time. Rather than looking abandoned, it feels occupied.
That's something I always look for in post-apocalyptic models.
It's easy to scatter rubble around a building and call it post-apocalyptic. It's much harder to make a location feel lived in, and I think IAmBrick has done a good job here. The environmental storytelling encourages you to keep looking because there's always another little detail tucked away somewhere that helps build the narrative.
The aircraft remains the visual centrepiece, but the pharmacy gives you plenty of reasons to slow down and spend time exploring everything else around it.
Brick Quality
Overall, I thought the brick quality was good.
The colours are consistent throughout, the moulding is clean and I didn't encounter any damaged or poorly manufactured parts during the build. The muted colour palette also deserves some praise, because it captures the weathered, abandoned look perfectly without making the model feel dull or repetitive.
The printed elements are a nice touch, particularly some of the smaller pharmacy details, which help add character throughout the build.
The larger signage, however, isn't printed. Instead, IAmBrick has opted for decals rather than traditional stickers. Personally, I much prefer this approach. Because the graphics are applied directly without relying on a coloured sticker background, you don't have to worry about colour matching, which is something that often stands out on conventional stickers. The finished result looks cleaner and blends far more naturally into the model.
The only slight criticism I have concerns the clutch between some sections and the baseplate.
In places it wasn't quite as firm as I'd ideally like, which contributed to some of the movement I mentioned earlier during construction. I don't believe this is purely a brick quality issue; it's more likely a combination of the structural design and the way certain sections attach to the base. Even so, it's something I noticed often enough to mention.
Thankfully, once the model is complete, it isn't something that affects the finished display. It simply makes a few stages of the build feel a little less secure than they otherwise might have done.
Let There Be Light
If you've read any of my previous IAmBrick reviews, you'll know that the integrated lighting systems have become one of the company's defining features. They're one of the main reasons their models stand out from many other brick-built display pieces, and I was interested to see whether they'd continued to refine the system here.
I think the answer is yes.
Having recently built the Doomsday Gas Station, I couldn't help comparing the two, and this feels like a noticeable step forward.
The first improvement is the variety of lighting. Rather than relying heavily on a single colour temperature, there's a much better mix of warm and cool lighting throughout the model. That immediately creates a more natural atmosphere, with different parts of the settlement drawing your attention for different reasons.
The second improvement is the cable management.
One of the small frustrations with some earlier lighting systems was that you occasionally found yourself wondering where a cable was supposed to disappear. Here, IAmBrick has clearly spent some time thinking about that. The addition of cable covers allows the wiring to blend into the structure far more naturally, meaning you're looking at the model rather than the technology powering it.
It's a relatively small change, but it makes a surprisingly big difference to both the building experience and the finished display.
Then, of course, comes the moment every lighting kit is judged on.
Switching it on.
This is where the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy really begins to shine.
What I enjoyed most wasn't simply that parts of the model light up. It was the way the lighting interacts with the environment.
The light spills through broken windows, catches the weathered fuselage of the aircraft and reflects from different surfaces around the settlement. Instead of every area being evenly illuminated, you get pockets of light and shadow that give the model real atmosphere.
It's something that's quite difficult to describe until you see it in person.
The lighting doesn't overpower the model or distract from the details you've just spent several hours building. Instead, it enhances them. It helps create the impression that people are genuinely living here, making use of whatever electricity they've managed to generate after the world has fallen apart.
It's subtle, believable and, in my opinion, one of the strongest aspects of the finished model.
Display
As enjoyable as much of the build is, I think this is ultimately a display-first set.
Once it's sitting on the shelf, it's difficult not to stop and look at it.
The aircraft immediately dominates the scene and creates a silhouette unlike almost anything else in my collection. Even from across the room, it's instantly recognisable, and that's largely because the designers have resisted the temptation to overcomplicate it. The shape is clean, the angle of the crash feels believable and the pharmacy naturally wraps itself around the wreckage in a way that makes the whole scene feel cohesive.
The more time you spend looking at the model, the more little details begin to reveal themselves.
There are improvised repairs, salvaged equipment, survivor touches and environmental details that reward a closer inspection. It doesn't feel like a collection of individual sub-builds placed beside one another. Instead, it feels like a location that has gradually evolved over time as people adapted to their surroundings.
That sense of storytelling is probably my favourite aspect of the finished display.
It encourages you to imagine what happened here.
How long has the aircraft been here? Who survived? How did the pharmacy become part of the settlement? Where did all the supplies come from?
The best display models often leave those questions unanswered, allowing your imagination to fill in the gaps, and I think this set does that very well.
The integrated lighting only strengthens that impression. Once illuminated, the settlement feels completely different. Areas that were easy to overlook during the day suddenly become focal points, and the whole model takes on a far more atmospheric appearance.
For me, this is where the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy earns its place.
There are stronger building experiences available, but there aren't many post-apocalyptic display pieces that tell a story quite as effectively as this one.
Minifigures
One area where I think IAmBrick continues to improve is its minifigure design.
The company has developed a style that feels consistent across its post-apocalyptic range, and I have to say I'm becoming quite fond of it. They have plenty of personality without feeling overly exaggerated, and the printing does a great job of reinforcing the worn, rugged aesthetic that suits these survivor settlements so well.
The Wrecked Plane Pharmacy includes two exclusive characters: Ari and Helin.
According to IAmBrick's backstory, Ari is the calm and dependable medic of the settlement, responsible for treating the injured and carefully managing the community's limited medical supplies. It's a role that fits the setting perfectly and gives the pharmacy a believable purpose within the wider settlement.
Alongside Ari is Helin, whose optimism provides a nice contrast to the harsh world around her. Rather than allowing the uncertainty of the wasteland to define her, she remains hopeful about the future, bringing a little warmth and humanity to what could otherwise have been quite a bleak setting.
What I like most is that these aren't simply generic minifigures included to populate the build. They've clearly been given identities that complement the story IAmBrick is trying to tell, making the settlement feel more like a place where people genuinely live rather than just another abandoned ruin.
They're attractive figures, fit the theme perfectly and continue to show just how much IAmBrick's minifigure design has matured over its recent releases.
Final Thoughts
The Wrecked Plane Pharmacy left me feeling genuinely torn, and I actually think that's because its greatest strengths and biggest weaknesses are both quite clear.
On one hand, I absolutely love the concept. Building a survivor settlement around the wreckage of a passenger aircraft is a fantastic idea, and it's one that has been realised extremely well. The aircraft itself is beautifully engineered, satisfying to build and gives the model a completely unique identity. Combined with the improved lighting system and the environmental storytelling throughout the pharmacy, the finished display is one that I could happily leave on a shelf for years.
On the other hand, I don't think the building experience consistently reaches the same standard as the finished model.
The opening stages are more awkward than they need to be, the pharmacy doesn't always feel quite as secure during construction as I'd like, and there were moments where I found myself wishing the structural engineering matched the quality of the aircraft itself.
None of those issues spoil the set.
They're simply the reasons I don't think this quite reaches the same level as some of the very best models I've built recently.
If you're someone who values the journey of building above everything else, there are stronger options available.
If, however, you're looking for something genuinely different that tells an interesting story and looks fantastic once complete, then I think the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy has a lot to offer.
It's a model that continues to reward your attention long after the final brick has been placed, and for a display piece, that's a quality that's difficult to ignore.
Scores
Build Experience – 6/10
I enjoyed building the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy, but I never found myself completely absorbed in it in the same way I have with some of IAmBrick's previous releases. The opening stages are more awkward than they need to be, requiring careful counting of studs to establish the foundations, and there were a few points during construction where the pharmacy felt less secure than I expected.
Thankfully, those frustrations are balanced by some genuinely enjoyable moments. The aircraft is an excellent sub-build, there are enough changes in pace to keep the build interesting, and the environmental details ensure you're always adding something meaningful to the model. Overall, it's a good building experience, but not one I'd consider among the company's very best.
Brick Quality – 7/10
The overall quality of the bricks is good. Colours are consistent, the moulding is clean and I didn't experience any damaged or poorly fitting elements during the build. The muted colour palette suits the subject matter perfectly and helps create an authentic weathered appearance.
My only reservation concerns the clutch in a few areas around the baseplate. There were moments where sections moved slightly more than I would have liked while building. I suspect that's as much a structural design choice as it is a brick quality issue, but it's worth mentioning because it does affect the confidence you have during construction. Once completed, however, the model feels perfectly suitable for display.
Design – 7/10
This is where the set almost earns a higher score.
The central idea is genuinely inspired. Using the wreckage of a passenger aircraft as the focal point of a survivor settlement immediately makes this model stand out from almost every other post-apocalyptic set I've seen. The way the aircraft has been integrated into the pharmacy is extremely convincing, and the environmental storytelling throughout the build encourages you to spend time exploring every corner.
The reason it doesn't score higher is because I don't think every aspect of the execution quite matches the brilliance of the concept. The aircraft feels exceptionally well engineered, whereas the pharmacy occasionally lacks that same confidence during construction. It's still a very good design overall, but I couldn't help feeling it fell just short of its full potential.
Lighting – 8/10
The lighting system is one of the highlights of the entire set and represents a noticeable improvement over previous IAmBrick releases I've built.
The wider variety of lighting colours creates a much more natural atmosphere, while the improved cable management means the technology disappears into the structure far more effectively than before. I also really appreciated the addition of cable covers, which make routing the wiring considerably neater.
More importantly, the lighting actually enhances the model rather than simply illuminating it. I love the way the light bounces around the scene, catching different surfaces, spilling through broken windows and creating subtle areas of light and shadow. It adds atmosphere without becoming distracting, and it helps the settlement feel far more alive once darkness falls.
Display – 8/10
Without question, this is where the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy excels.
The crashed aircraft immediately commands your attention and gives the model a silhouette that's unlike anything else in my collection. From a distance it's striking, but it's only when you move in closer that you begin appreciating the smaller details, the environmental storytelling and the clever integration between the aircraft and the pharmacy itself.
This is the sort of model that invites people to stop, look closer and ask questions. Every angle reveals something new, and the integrated lighting only strengthens that effect once the model is switched on.
For me, this is a display piece first and foremost, and judged on those terms, it's a real success.
Overall Score – 7/10
The Wrecked Plane Pharmacy is a set that impressed me more as a finished display than it did during the build itself.
Its greatest strengths are also the reasons I'd recommend it. The aircraft is superb, the concept feels fresh, the lighting continues to improve with every new release and the completed model has genuine presence on the shelf. Those qualities make it easy to admire long after the building process has finished.
At the same time, I don't think it's without flaws. The opening stages are unnecessarily awkward, the pharmacy doesn't always feel as solid during construction as I'd like, and the overall build experience doesn't quite match the standard set by some of IAmBrick's strongest releases.
Even so, I'd still recommend it to anyone who enjoys post-apocalyptic displays or wants something that looks genuinely different from the usual modular buildings. It may not be the strongest build I've completed this year, but it's certainly one of the most distinctive display pieces I've added to my collection.
Final Verdict
IAmBrick continues to carve out its own identity within the display market, and the Wrecked Plane Pharmacy is another good example of that. Rather than relying on familiar subjects, the company has taken an imaginative idea and turned it into a model that feels genuinely different from almost anything else currently available.
While I think there are areas where the building experience could be refined, it's difficult to argue with the finished result. The crashed aircraft is beautifully realised, the lighting system continues to evolve in the right direction, and the completed model tells a story that few brick-built displays manage to capture quite so effectively.
For me, that's ultimately what this set is about.
It's less about the individual rooms or the number of pieces, and more about the atmosphere it creates once everything comes together. Every time I walk past it, I find myself looking at the aircraft, noticing another small detail or imagining the story behind the settlement. That's something the very best display models encourage you to do.
Overall Score: 7/10
Recommended? Yes. If you're a fan of post-apocalyptic worlds, environmental storytelling and unusual display pieces, I think there's a lot here to enjoy. Just go into the build expecting a few compromises along the way, because the destination is ultimately stronger than the journey.
Comments
Post a Comment